Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It's been a week since my last post...

And I am sorry for not keeping up with it better over the past week. It has been crazy hectic for me with the kids. We've been battling colds and ear infections so I've been a little preoccupied. That and my husband, as wonderful as he is, decided to send me a TON of chocolate as a "just because" gift. He's overseas currently and did it just because he was thinking of me...he's just the sweetest! Chocolate was on my list of offenders though and I hadn't told him that I had embarked upon re-casting prior to him ordering it and sending it. I have had the HARDEST time keeping it in moderation. On the bright side of things, over the past week, I haven't gained anything - I've only maintained. Now that most of the chocolate is gone, I'm going to try again. It does make me feel good to say though that I did keep my portions in check! I think the largest portion I had was maybe 6oz in total. If nothing else, here's a breakdown of my day today:

Breakfast (2.5 oz)
Two waffles - plain

Lunch (didn't weigh)
Two portabello mushrooms sauteed in butter and olive oil
2-3 bites of chicken
1 spoonful of mac~n~cheese

Dinner (5 oz)
Chicken, Peas, and Gemilli pasta in a White Wine sauce
Two chocolate truffles (Godiva - thanks honey bun!)

So my meals today were wonderful! I would venture to say that the mushrooms I ate at lunch were the most spectacular part of my day! For those that may be interested, here is my recipe for how I cooked them (slightly adapted from Mireille's):

Sauteed Portabello Mushrooms
1 tbsp butter (unsalted)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground mustard
2 tsp parsley flakes or 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp sea salt (personal preference)
1 tsp fresh ground pepper (personal preference)

Heat the butter and olive oil until they sizzle in a saucepan that has a lid. Place the garlic and various herbs and spices into the sizzling oil/butter mixture. Cut the stems off of the mushrooms. Place the mushrooms top side down in the buttery mixture. Cook the mushrooms in the mixture for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side. Then put the mushroom top-side down again and cover this time with the lid. Let them cook for approximately 5-8 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on your heat setting and your chosen type of saucepan. After they cook, turn the heat off and pull the mushrooms out of the pan. You can drizzle the liquid that is still in the saucepan over the mushrooms or eat them without the extra liquid. It is absolutely YUMMY! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment